This website accompanies the book Ethics for people who work in tech, by Marc Steen, published by Taylor & Francis/CRC Press (2022). Please have a look at the wonderful reviews by Professor Shannon Vallor (‘… a staggeringly clear, accessible, richly comprehensive and engaging guide to understanding how ethics meets practice for those who build, use or deploy technology in their work.‘) and Professor Mark Coeckelbergh (‘… Highly recommended for tech professionals and anyone interested in how to integrate ethics into tech projects and innovation processes.’). Hopefully, you too will enjoy reading the book and find it valuable.
Rapid Ethical Deliberation Canvas, to facilitate workshops to integrate ethics into your projects:
- Big Data Expo, Utrecht, 14 Sept 2022: Ethics for people who work in tech
- Big Data Analytics Europe, 8 March 2023: Ethics for people who work in tech; How to integrate ethics in your projects
- Big Data Expo, Utrecht, 12 Sept 2023: Ethics for people who work in tech: Let’s look at ChatGPT
- Theme Development Workshop on Trusted AI, online, 13 Sept 2023: Responsible AI in the industry
- Hogeschool Rotterdam (private event), 14 Sept 2023: Ethics for people who work in tech
- AG TechFest, Utrecht, 20 Sept 2023: Ethics for people who work in tech and Ethiek integreren in je project: Aan de slag!
- AI & Big Data Expo, Amsterdam, 27 Sept 2023: Ethics for people who work in tech: Let’s look at ChatGPT
- Avans Hogeschool, Breda, 4 Oct 2023: Avans AI Talks: Artificial Intelligence & Ethiek
- Responsible AI Conference (R.AI), Amsterdam, 10 Oct 2023, participant in closing panel session
Podcast: Machine Ethics: Doing Ethics with Marc Steen, May 2023.
Podcast: Getting Technology Right, by Dr. Kevin Macnish (to be posted)
Book review by Andrew P. Rebera: ‘Doing’ technology ethics: Review of Marc Steen’s ‘Ethics for people who work in tech‘, Journal of Ethics and Emerging Technologies, 33, 1 (2023): ‘Its overall project—practical advice on how to think about and implement ethics in tech—is well-conceived. Steen delivers on the project too: ideas are presented accessibly, without dumbing-down; technical terminology is introduced but neither relied on nor hidden behind; in style, the author is present but not overbearing, advises without preaching, instructs without talking down‘.
Podcast: AI Today: S05E49: Auteur Marc Steen, Ethics for people who work in tech (10 Sept 2023); S05E53: Ethics for people who work in tech: hoe pas je dit toe in de praktijk (24 Sept 2023).
Podcast: AI Dilemma: Ethiek voor AI professionals, May 2023.
Podcast: De Dataloog, Ethiek voor technische professionals, September 2022.
Later, I may add blog posts or short videos, or tools to enable people to share experiences of using ideas from the book in their work. Meanwhile, you can contact me: email@example.com